Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Let's not judge.


YOU. Don’t tell me who I can and cannot date. Who I am with. Who I like to be with. What I can and cannot do. Who I make friends with.

Judging.

So what if the person is a rebel, smokes, has tattoos, drinks, and clubs? Or is not financially well-off, not good-looking enough, not smart enough, not being at the acceptable weight range and is not of an ideal cookie-cut? Or that the person is Gay. Lesbian. A trans. Or whatever it is.

And does some things that society deems immoral and is shunned of?

Does that mean that the person is less than a normal person who is a goody two-shoes? Come on, even some goody-two shoes must have done something. Something. Tell me of one person who has done everything right all the time. We are not saints all the time, in fact, we sin.

It doesn’t mean that when a person has done something wrong in the past, or is still doing it now, be it being an alcoholic, smokes, having a wild lifestyle, being part of a gang, takes drugs, gambles, is abusive, has multiple sexual partners, or practises casual sex, that the person is “bad”. We are told that things like this is something that we shouldn’t do, and that we shouldn’t follow of, because it’s not one of the “ideal” standards of what we humans are supposed to be.

That person may have made bad judgments, but it doesn’t mean that he/she is a bad person. We all make bad judgments from time to time, sometimes it’s just human nature to, and it’s just that phase of life. Even I myself make bad judgments sometimes. We all have our own faults; I have my own faults too. We all make mistakes; we all have that little black book that’s hidden and unknown to others. But eventually we’ll learn from them, and as we grow, we’ll start to think differently, and we know that we want to be better.

Please, there’s more to that. Maybe, maybe we are psyched to judge a book by its cover, but goodness gracious, don’t. I know of a friend who has his/her faults, but he/she doesn’t judge, and that’s why I feel at ease whenever I talk to that person. Can you not judge a person by what they wear, how they look, their sexual orientation, their background and their social circle?

Judge them on what THEY bring. What they can, and are capable of bringing to the table.


I just can’t stand it being judgmental.




No comments: